Landlords Gas Safety Information

Gas Certificates – Are you a Landlord? Information and Advice on Your Obligations.

Landlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety. 

Understanding the law for rental accommodation

If you are a landlord letting a property equipped with gas appliances you need to understand and comply with the law relating to gas safety.

If you let a property, you must make sure that pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition. You need to have a  gas safety check every year. A  Gas Safe registered engineer  must carry out the safety check in your properties in Great Britain and the Isle of Man. You must give your tenants a copy of the  gas safety certificate  within 28 days of it being carried out or before they move in.

You are also obliged to show your tenants how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak.

Landlords Annual Gas Checks

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for making sure that a  Gas Safe registered engineer checks the gas appliances in your rental properties every 12 months and gives you copies of the  gas safety certificates .

Gas Safety Certificates

When your  Gas Safe registered engineer has checked the gas appliances in your rental property they will give you a  gas safety certificate . This certificate confirms the gas appliances have been checked and are safe.

You must give your tenant a copy of these gas safety certificates within 28 days of the checks being done, or give a copy of the gas safety certificate to a new tenant before they move in. Remember, you must keep a record of each safety check for two years


2let2U working in association with gas engineers to promote gas safety for Tenants and Landlords in Barnsley Yorkshire

*We can introduce you to a gas safe registered Company who will do your annual gas certificates for only £60.00 each!

For further information please contact 0122 670 5047 today!

*Terms & conditions apply, maximum two appliances, combi boilers only (different rates apply to back boilers and non standard installations). S70 & S71 postcodes. Please enquire for other areas/regions. Bulk discounts available for portfolios.